Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed House of Fraser 2007. Eighties; succeeded by Norman Jones & Co. McDonalds, Wylie & Lochhead – shaped from the merger of McDonalds and Wylie & Lochhead by House of Fraser 1957; renamed Frasers 1975. Jones Brothers – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores.
His family grew it into Bishop Stortford’s solely division store.
Pearsons was bought to Morleys Stores in 2010, with the Bishop Stortford retailer closed in 2012.
Henry Sparrow Started as Sworders Ironmongery store in the course of the mid 1800s in North Street.
In 1904 it was purchased by the shops clerk, Henry Sparrow.
Compton House holds a unique international status as a contender for the world’s first department store, pre-relationship Bon Marche in Paris by some 5 years. Building transformed to a lodge in 1873 and part of the building has been occupied by Marks & Spencer since 1928.
Vape Shop in Stafford, UK
Ricemans (Canterbury; previously Deal, Kent) – Relocated from Deal to purpose-built Canterbury retailer Nineteen Sixties. Bought by Fenwick 1986; renamed Fenwick on relocation to new constructing 2003.
Pearsons was sold to Morleys Stores in 2010, with the Bishop Stortford retailer closed in 2012. Opened as Hammonds on completion of latest constructing 1970. Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1972; renamed Binns; closed c. Premises bought by Boyes and reopened in 1998. The co-operative continues to operate numerous companies outdoors of non-meals retail.
Vape Shop in South Gloucestershire, UK
Henry Sparrow Started as Sworders Ironmongery store through the mid 1800s in North Street. In 1904 it was bought by the shops clerk, Henry Sparrow. His household grew it into Bishop Stortford’s solely division retailer. In 1971 the business was bought by auction to Pearsons of Enfield. Bought by John Barker & Co. 1947. Acquired by House of Fraser 1957; closed 1968; reopened as Dickins & Jones on completion of latest constructing 1970; renamed House of Fraser 2007. G R Cooper – bought by Selfridges in 1966. Original retailer demolished 1973 for brand new store as a part of Westgate improvement.
Now solely surviving store to retain the Binns name . Roslings – Opened at no. 31 London Road in 1905 earlier than extending in 1932. Store closed in 1960 being purchased by Woolworths who opened their new retailer in 1965. H L Reid – bought by Great Northern & Southern Stores and Wright Brothers 1938. Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1975. Rankin & Co. – Bought by Benzie & Miller; renamed Benzie & Miller. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; offered 1948. Doozy Vape Juice Junki Melon Rush 50ml & Son – sold to Littlewoods in 1952.
Vape Shop in Basingstoke & Deane, UK
Acquired by House of Fraser 1959; renamed Rackhams Nineteen Seventies; renamed House of Fraser 1980s; closed 1998. Tyrrell & Green – Established 1897. Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1934; renamed John Lewis on relocation to new building 2000. Strange & Atkinson – purchased by Bobby & Co.
A new Lewis’s division store opened on the location in 1929. Lewis’s – group went into administration in 1991. A number of stores had been subsequently acquired by Owen Owen. The flagship Liverpool retailer was last owned by Vergo Retail and closed on 29 May 2010. Allders Department Stores – group went into administration on 29 January 2005. All branches have been subsequently sold or closed. The flagship Croydon retailer continued to commerce independently after 2005, lastly closing on 22 September 2012.
Vape Shop in Wychavon, UK
Thomas Tucker – Established 1801. Bought by Benzie household, of Benzie & Miller, 1958; closed 2007. Ranbys – Bought by Debenhams Sixties; renamed Debenhams 1973; relocated 2007. Quin & Axten – Bought by Bon Marché 1920. Woodard’s Opened 1908 on nook of Regent Street and the Parade. Store was closed by then house owners Merchant Retail on the thirty first July 2004, contributing £300,000 revenue to the group. The constructing was sold to Atlantic Property Developments plc who demolished the constructing in 2005. Wilson & Co – established in 1883; constructing destroyed by fire in 1909 Store re-opened with new grand building and became known as Wilson’s Corner. Building now occupied by smaller items and flats. West & Moulton – Bought by Whiteleys. Verity & Sons – Bought by Owen Owen; renamed Owen Owen. Bought by Drapery Trust; renamed Debenhams 1972. Joseph Johnson – Established 1880. Acquired by Fenwick 1962; renamed Fenwick. Bourne & Hollingsworth – Closed 1983.Bourne & Hollingsworth – Opened as a department of Bourne & Hollingsworth of Oxford Street; sold 1979. Bonds – purchased by John Lewis Partnership in 1982; renamed John Lewis in 2001. Edward Bates – established 1869; purchased by Bentalls in 1979; renamed Bentalls; closed within the Nineteen Eighties. Bought by Selfridges in 1919; incorporated into Selfridge Provincial Stores in 1926; rebuilt in 1935. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership in 1940; closed in 1981; building subsequently occupied by Waitrose. Selfridge Provincial Stores – group created by Selfridges in 1926. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership in 1940.
South building demolished and site vacant . Garlands – Located in London Street.
W J Buckley & Co. – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores and subsequently acquired by the John Lewis Partnership in 1940. The store was offered to Busbys of Bradford in 1953 who rebranded the shop beneath the Busbys name. Bought out by Dingles in 1962 and closed shortly after. Ponting Brothers – Bought by John Barker & Co. 1907. Acquired by House of Fraser 1957; closed 1970. William Plumpton & Son – Bought by Palmers; renamed Palmers. Bought by United Drapery Stores; renamed Allders c. J D Morant (Chichester; beforehand Southsea) – Established 1910; Southsea premises destroyed by bombing 1941; relocated to Chichester 1941. Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1955; renamed Army & Navy.
John Banner – Established 1873; relocated to Attercliffe Road in 1894; rebuilt in 1934. Bought by Hurst & Sandler and subsequently acquired by United Drapery Stores; closed in 1980. Attwoods – purchased by Kay & Co. of Worcester, the catalogue business in the Fifties. Hurst & Sandler – principally a manufacturer of gowns and different textile goods. Acquired by United Drapery Stores. While this B&M Store has automobile parking out there, we advise you to examine for any restrictions and deadlines when visiting. Kennards – Opened by Debenhams as a department of Kennards of Croydon; renamed Debenhams 1973. R H O Hills – Bought by Whiteleys. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975; integrated into the Binns group; renamed Binns; closed. Gosling & Sons – Established 1795. George Hitchcock Williams & Co. (St Paul’s Churchyard, London) – Established 1841; closed 1984. Havens Opened 1901; Store closed in 2017 and moved to being an online retailer only. George Henry Havelock – Destroyed by fire 18 July 1898; rebuilt 1900; closed 1914. William Harvey – Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1953. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed Army & Navy; renamed House of Fraser. Kennards – Bought by Drapery Trust; renamed Debenhams 1973.Kennards – Opened by Debenhams as a branch of Kennards of Croydon; closed. Bought by House of Fraser 1977; closed 2005.David Evans – Opened as a branch of David Evans of Swansea 1961.
Grant Warden (Walton-on-Thames) – Formerly Campbell & Booker. Bought by J E Beale; renamed Beales. Busbys was itself purchased by Debenhams in 1958. The store was renamed Debenhams in 1973 and continues to trade from the same website . Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1969; renamed Dingles 1973; closed Nineties. Bobby & Co. – Succeeded John Cordeux & Sons as a department of Bobby & Co. in 1928; closed in 1932 and premises offered to Brights. Boardmans – purchased by Keddies within the 1970s; closed in 1984 and building demolished. Anderson’s Royal Polytechnic – established 1837 as Glasgow’s first department retailer. Bought by Lewis’s within the Nineteen Twenties and rebuilt. Staddons – Bought by Drapery Trust; ownership subsequently transferred to Debenhams; offered. Eldred Sayers & Sons – Bought by Bentalls; renamed Bentalls; relocated. Bought by J E Beale from Fenwick; renamed Beales; closed. Arthur Sanders – Established 1770. Bought by Binns 1922; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953. Selfridges flagship department retailer was not part of this acquisition and was acquired by Lewis’s in 1951. This B&M residence store with garden centre in Burnley is a popular addition to this part of Lancashire. Woolland Brothers – Established 1869; new building accomplished 1901. Bought by Debenhams 1949; closed 1967. Site now occupied by The Park Tower Knightsbridge Hotel . Building bought by Hoopers and reopened as the primary Hoopers store 1982.
Bought by Charles Clore 1947; bought to United Drapery Stores 1950. Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1953; business of A H Bull included into Heelas 1953; renamed John Lewis 2001. Bought by Drapery Trust; integrated into the Bobby & Co. group; renamed Debenhams 1970s. Genge & Co. – Succeeded George Dixon & Jameson 1899. Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1953. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed Dingles; closed 1980s. A fire in 1970 destroyed the building and its neighbouring division store Buntings. The constructing was rebuilt however the store closed in 1984. Dale & Kerley – bought by John Barker & Co.; acquired by House of Fraser 1957; included into the Army & Navy group c. Building now occupied by T J Hughes . Compton House – Built for retailer J.R.Jeffery in 1865; closed in 1871. Pearsons – Opened as a department of Pearsons of Enfield. Closed previous to sale to Morles and now a Primark. Stuart Norris – Succeeded Driscolls. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975; renamed Chiesmans 1975; renamed Army & Navy; closed Nineties. Robert Maule & Son – established 1894. Bought by Binns 1934; renamed Binns. The business got here to be owned by House of Fraser within the Seventies (presumably by way of a larger acquisition?) and was renamed Dingles before closing in the Nineteen Eighties. The premises were bought by Denners. Finnigans (Wilmslow; previously Manchester) – Relocated from Manchester city centre to Wilmslow c. Bought by Hoopers 1982; renamed Hoopers 1982. John Falconer & Co. – Bought by Scottish Drapery Corporation 1929. Acquired by House of Fraser 1952; renamed Frasers 1970s; closed 2002.
Webbers – Succeeded City Drapery Stores 1905. aspire nautilus xs tank silver Bought by Hide & Co. 1952; closed 1971. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953; renamed Frasers. Howards – Bought by United Drapery Stores; later integrated into the John Blundell group; renamed John Blundell. George Hilton & Sons – Established 1882; closed Eighties. Main buildings demolished and website redeveloped as Orchards Shopping Centre. Former furnishings constructing now occupied by Robert Dyas . Heelas & Sons Co. – Established 1854. Fear Hill – group of 4 malls; the Trowbridge retailer was established in 1880. Harrison Gibson – closed 2010Harrison Gibson – Opened as a branch of Harrison Gibson of Ilford. Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1968; renamed Army & Navy. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; closed 2004. North building now occupied by T K Maxx . Re-opened because the Houndsditch earlier than closing in 1984 and being demolished and replaced coils by Aylesham Centre. Norman Jones & Co. – Succeeded Makins & Bean. Bought by Mr. R. H. Carlton 1911; renamed Carltons 1918. Corders – established 1787 Bought by Debenhams; incorporated into Footman Pretty on completion of new constructing. Edward J Clarke – Bought by McDonalds of Glasgow 1922; renamed McDonalds 1922. Acquired by House of Fraser 1951; later integrated into the Binns group; renamed Binns. Boothroyds – bought by Broadbents of Southport; acquired by Owen Owen and merged with Broadbents to form Broadbents & Boothroyds on the Boothroyds website.
Vokins – Established 1882 as ‘Leeson & Vokins’. Traded as ‘Leeson & Vokins’ 1882–1937; W H Vokins 1937–1983; Vokins 1983–1997; closed 1997. Vokins continued to commerce as ‘Vokins Furniture & Beds’ from a web site in Hove till closure in 2015. Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1947; sold to McCartney Stewart. Site now occupied by part of Marks & Spencer and south-jap section of Arndale Centre . Tuttles – Bought by Debenhams c. This is a listing of malls of the United Kingdom. In Pinkys Celebrity Club Instagram Management Software of division retailer groups, the placement of the flagship retailer is given. This list doesn’t embody massive specialist shops, which typically resemble malls. The list is broken into “at present buying and selling” (A–Z); “defunct groups” and “defunct” (A–Z). Acquired by House of Fraser 1977; renamed House of Fraser c. Dawson Brothers – purchased by Drapery Trust; ownership subsequently transferred to Debenhams; bought Closed. Located at City Road / East Road junction. Cresta House – opened by Debenhams as a branch of Cresta House in premises beforehand occupied by the Harrogate branch of Marshall & Snelgrove. Bought by Schofields; renamed Schofields. Acquired by House of Fraser; closed. Building now occupied by Hoopers .
Bought by Debenhams 1943; renamed Debenhams 1973. W H Hunt & Co. – Established 1889; closed 1923. Located at 197–207 Kensington High Street. Holdrons – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores. Acquired by House of Fraser 1958; renamed Arnotts Nineteen Seventies; closed Nineteen Eighties. A L Ramsay – Established 1845, later A L Ramsay & Son. Bought by Benzie & Miller; renamed Benzie & Miller. Acquired by House of Fraser; renamed Arnotts; closed. Gray Peverell & Co. – Established 1902. Bought by Binns 1926; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953; closed 1992. Wright Brothers – Bought by Hide & Co. 1940. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975. Bought by Owen Owen from House of Fraser 1976; renamed Owen Owen; closed 1990; premises sold to Tesco. Building now occupied by Tesco Metro . Pearsons (Bishop’s Stortford) – Opened as a department of Pearsons of Enfield 1972 in premises formerly occupied by H Sparrow. Bought by Morleys Stores 2010; closed 2012.
Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1990. Jones & Higgins – Established 1867. Acquired by Great Universal Stores; closed 1980. Acquired by Selfridge Provincial Stores 1926. Subsequently, acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1949. Subsequently, acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1990. Pophams Plymouth – Opened in 1824 as Pophams & Radford earlier than the Radford factor was dropped in 1931. Lingards – Originally Sunbridge Road.Bought by United Drapery Stores; New store opened The mall, Westgate. Both stores closed by UDS on 23 April 1977.
Ksenia Sobchak – About the Author
Ksenia Sobchak enjoys blogging on fashion, style, lifestyle, love and CBD areas. Prior to becoming a blogger, Ksenia worked for a renowned fashion brand. Ksenia is a contributing author to leading fashion, lifestyle and CBD magazines and blogs. You can bump into Ksenia at her favourite cafe in South Kensington where she has written most blogs. When she is not blogging, Ksenia enjoys shopping (particularly at Harrods!), exploring the hidden gems of London, photography, jogging, yoga, fashion (she is starting up her very own swimwear brand very soon!) and traveling. Ksenia is a staunch advocate of CBD and its benefits to people. Ksenia is also on the panel of CBD reviewers at CBD Life Mag and Chill Hempire. Her favourite form of CBD are CBD gummies and CBD tinctures. Ksenia is a regular contributor at leading fashion, lifestyle as well as CBD magazines and blogs.
Interesting Facts About Ksenia Sobchak
Favourite Drink: Rose flavoured bubble tea
Favourite Movie: Trainspotting (the first one)
Interesting fact: I am a part time fashion and swimwear model
Where are we likely to find you on a Friday night: Probably enjoying a peach flavoured shisha at Beauchamp place in Knightsbridge
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.